The content of OTHM Level 3 Diploma in Business Studies qualification is focused on managing communication, business organisations in a global context, people management and finance, as well as an understanding of the research skills and personal development expected of a manager. It includes a broad range of highly relevant business and management subject areas, making it ideal for those who have started, or are planning to move into, a career in private of public sector business. The programme allows learners to acquire knowledge and understanding in a range of topics and to develop key skills they require to work in Business Management roles.
The OTHM Level 3 qualifications can be offered to Learners from age 16. OTHM does not specify entry requirements for these qualifications, but Centres are required to ensure that learners admitted to the programme have sufficient capability at the right level to undertake the learning and assessment.
The OTHM Level 3 Diploma in Business Studies consists of 4 mandatory units plus 2 optional units that provide for a combined total of 60 credits:
- Personal, Professional and Academic Development (10 credits): ensure that learners have an appropriate grounding in key academic, personal and professional skills required for successful study at this level and subsequent employment and/or further study.
- Using IT for Business (10 credits): familiarise learners with the use, application and development of core study and academic skills including the use of IT, preparation for presentations, and formats for academic writing such as essay and report formats.
- Fundamentals of Business Accounting (10 credits): provide learners with an understanding of the basic principles of accounting in a business environment; develop an understanding of the content of basic financial statements and the principles of recording financial transactions.
- Introduction to the Business Environment (10 credits): enable students to explore the different internal and external elements of a business, understand the business context and explore the political, social, economic, technological and ethical considerations affecting businesses; also enables learners to explore common aims and characteristics of business and to understand business structures, cultures and function.
Optional Units (Choose any TWO)
- Customer Service Excellence (10 credits): develop an understanding of the principles that apply to customer service delivery in organisations across different sectors and understand how to propose and implement improvements to customer service.
- Managing Business Events (10 credits): develop an understanding of the principles that apply to the management of events in arrange of business sectors; introduce the reasons why businesses hold events and why these have become more prominent in recent years.
- Introduction to Marketing (10 credits): develop an understanding of the role of marketing in the business environment, the principles of sales in a business; identify marketing models and theories, apply principles of marketing planning.
- Introduction to People Management (10 credits): develop an understanding of the principles that apply to the management of people in a range of business sectors; introduces concepts such as reward, motivation and leadership.
DURATION AND DELIVERY
The qualification is designed to be delivered over six months for full-time study but it is also flexible in its delivery in order to accommodate fast track, part-time and distance learning. The qualification is delivered face-to-face, through lectures, tutorials, seminars, distance and online.
ASSESSMENT AND VERIFICATION
All units within this qualification are internally assessed by the centre and verified by OTHM. The qualifications are criterion referenced, based on the achievement of all the specified learning outcomes.
To achieve a ‘pass’ for a unit, a learner must have successfully passed all learning outcomes for that unit.
Passing the OTHM Level 3 Diploma in Business Studies enable learners direct entry into Year 1 of a three year UK Bachelor’s degree or pursue OTHM Level 4 Diplomas.