: 020 3411 1148   |   : info@saxonal.co.uk

All posts by Sanjay Vig




The Laser Level 2 Award for Working as a Security Officer is an essential qualification for those working or seeking work as a Security Guard in the private security industry. The qualification is a pre-requisite under the terms of the Private Security Industry Act (2001) for individuals working as Security Guards in the private security industry to obtain a licence from the Security Industry Authority.

The qualification is one of a series of licence linked security qualifications that has come after a period of review by the SIA and the industry competencies and therefore meets their requirements for a licence linked qualification.

The qualification is particularly suitable for new entrants to the industry, who require a licence and have no previous award/qualification which confers full or partial exemption.

AWARDING BODY: Laser Learning Awards is the lead body accountable to the regulators for Trident Awards.

FEES: £ 200

DURATION: At Saxon Academy of Learning the duration of the course is 4 days (Thursday-Sunday).

CERTIFICATE DEKIVERY TIME: Certificates are available within 10-15 working days.


There are no specific restrictions on learner entry; however learners will need to demonstrate competence in the use of the English language (both oral and written); read and interpret given tasks leading to answers that are clear, logical and understandable.  They will need to be able to make decisions based on underpinning knowledge.

Learners must be a minimum of 16 years of age to undertake the qualification, in line with the minimum age for an SIA licence.


The learner must successfully complete the three mandatory units to be awarded the full qualification.


  • Working within the Private Security Industry
  • Working as a Security Officer within the Private Security Industry
  • Conflict Management within the Private Security Industry


The qualification requires 28 hours of guided learning that is teacher-supervised or directed study time. SIA stipulate that 18.5 of the 28 hours are designated as contact time in the presence of a tutor or trainer or during an assessment. 


Assessments are externally set by Trident, against the requirements detailed in the learning outcomes and assessment criteria for each unit.

Completed externally set multi choice examinations are submitted by the Centre for external marking, with results issued by Trident to the Centre.

The assessment of the Physical Intervention Skills for the Private Security Industry unit is through knowledge testing and practical skills assessment, consisting of an externally set and internally marked short answer written test and an externally set and internally marked practical observation examination.


Since 24 April 2015, the Student Visitor Visa was re-named as the Short Term Student visa. If you are a national of the European Economic Area (EEA) or of Switzerland, or the family member of such a person, then you do not need to apply for immigration permission to enter the UK.

If you are a non EEA national and you are coming to study at our institution, then you can come to the UK on a short term student visa. This visa will allow you to come to UK if you wish to enter:

  • for up to 6 months to study a short course; or
  • for up to 11 months to study an English language course.

You can apply on one of the following courses with Saxon Academy of Learning if you wish to come to UK on a short term student visa.

The information below applies to students coming to Saxon Academy of Learning to study (this list is not exhaustive – For more information on student visitor visa please visit www.gov.uk/study-visit-visa):

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What I can and can’t do as a Short-term Student?

  • You can stay in the UK for a maximum of 6 months for any short course if you are 18 or over
  • You can stay in the UK for a maximum of  11 months to study English language course only if you are 18 or over
  • You cannot extend/switch your visa in the UK
  • You cannot work or carry out any business in the UK
  • You are not entitled to free treatment from the National Health Service (except in an emergency at Accident and Emergency in a hospital)
  • You cannot bring any family members (dependants) with you.

Where and how can I apply for this visa?

You need to submit the online application form (www.gov.uk/apply-uk-visa) and you will also have to submit your biometrics at your nearest visa application centre https (www.gov.uk/find-a-visa-application-centre).

When I can make the application and how long does it take?

You can make your application three months prior to the date that you intend to travel to the UK. You should get the decision on your visa within three weeks from the time of your application. You can check how long it takes to process Short-term Student visa applications in your country (www.gov.uk/visa-processing-times).

What are the documents required?

To obtain permission as a Student Short-term Student you need a letter to show that you are going to study at an accredited institution. This includes institutions who hold an ASIC accreditation. Your letter from Saxon Academy of Learning will confirm that Saxon Academy of Learning are accredited with ASIC.

The following documents are required:

  • a current passport or other valid travel identification,
  • one passport-sized colour photograph,
  • evidence that you can support yourself during your trip, e.g. bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months,
  • details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans – you shouldn’t pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa,
  • your tuberculosis (TB) test resultsif you’re from a country where you have to take the test
  • You need to provide the original documents.
  • You’ll also need to provide a certified translationof any documents that aren’t in English.
  • You need a page in your passport that’s blank on both sides for your visa.

How much money do I need to show?

There is no exact amount stated in the immigration rules for Short-term Student visa, however the guidance by UKVI states clearly that you should be able to show evidence of funds to cover your period of stay in the UK and flight tickets including return one.